14 December 2007

Letter from a site visitor...

Thought I would share this note I got from Bub Burman today...


Yes, I've flow in a Norseman. Back in 1953 I flew co-pilot with Bruce Hallock who was selling N59888 to the Summer Institute of Linguistics. Bruce's wife, Enid was "radio op" on the manifest, though Bruce did all the radio contact. We flew from Austin, TX to Lima, Peru, thru Central America and down the west Coast of South America. As a member of SIL (and the Wycliffe Bible Translators) I then flew co-pilot for the next two years in the Norseman on floats, ranging the Amazon jungle north and south in Peru. Our aviation program, Jungle Aviation and Radio Service (JAARS) was part of the Summer Institute of Linguistics. N59888 became OB-LAZ while in Peru, until it was re-exported in 1970 and eventually was registered in Canada as GA-ZMX, and as I understand is still flying, owned by Jack Green. Good ol' boat!

(I married in 1953 and left flying to, with my wife, work with the Cofan people of the Ecuador Amazon jungle. In 1980 we completed the translation of the New Testament scriptures into the Cofan language. We, and several of our family still work with the Cofan people. Bobbie and I are currently on a five-month visit to Ecuador.)

Yours truly,

M. Bub Borman

bub_borman@sil.org

No comments:

Post a Comment