17 October 2010

Noorduyn Norseman VP-FAD in Falklands, circa 1951

Goose Green, 1951
This is a quick entry to announce that I've posted some new pictures to Flickr of VP-FAD in the Falklands. These pictures were given to me courtesy of Mr. Ian White. Here is the text Mr. White provided alongside the scanned pictures:

"Enclosed are 7 photos of VP-FAD in Falkland Islands Government Service. All photos excepting #0007 were taken at Goose Green on an unusually calm day in 1951. #0007 is taken at the, under construction, hangar in Stanley and the little guy on the beaching gear is me undergoing peliminary float training!

I subsequently had a career of 40 plus years in Canada, UK & Falklands. Now retired to Antigua and busy scanning 6000 slides.

I leave you to use the the photogaphs as you wish but grateful for credit to Freddy White, my Father who was Captain of RMS Fitzroy and then RMS Darwin until 1967.

Incidently the pilot of FAD was Vic Spencer (deceased) who held Licence #1 in the Falklands.

The airframe of FAD was destroyed by Naval Gunnery practice and the engine lay on the beach near the hangar. When I last saw it in 1982 it was still recogniseable but probably pertrified by now! The floats were auctioned off and may still be in use at Saunders Island West Falklands."

Thanks very much to Mr. White for his contribution. If any readers have questions on these photos for Mr. White, please contact me and I will give you his email address.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment